UPDATE: February 24th, 2015:
Kotaku UK further confirming there is a new GH in development, typical E3 2015 prediction.
UPDATE: October 31st, 2014:
ShackNews posted an update corroborating our previous information from the anonymous (but trusted) source.
UPDATE June 14th, 2014:
E3 2014 has concluded and there has been no mention of Guitar Hero. The game is still in development though, so we can hold out hope for it to be revealed after the summer.
UPDATE May 15th, 2014:
Nothing, too concrete but an user on NeoGAF has made this post regarding the next Guitar Hero:
“Talking about guitar hero.. I got some sort of “inside news” from a friend of mine who works for an important London video production studio and says they are involved in the franchise reboot with Activision.. they are going to do something which sounds really cool and are trying to mix live footage from concerts and advanced motion capture to put the player in the middle of a live, first person musical experience. Many famous bands are involved in the project, though it’s not sure if they are gonna make something of it or are just experimenting.”
UPDATE November 20th, 2013:
I have received evidence from a trustworthy source that FSG is indeed making the next Guitar Hero. Out of respect to the individual I have not included their employer or their identity.
“I noticed you posted that FSG are hiring for a new music game a while back. It just so happens that I work at a different games company in the general vicinity. I absolutely know for a fact that they’re working on a new GH. I can’t tell you how I know unfortunately, but it should be out around xmas time next year and revealed at e3.“
FSG-DESIGN-GAMEPLAY MIDI DESIGNER
To take full responsibility for the creation of MIDI note maps for music-based video games, and the monitoring of these through development, ensuring the released note maps are of the highest standard in line with required timescales. Guarantee that the MIDI data is fully utilised in driving other aspects of the game. Doing this with the assistance of the Design Manager / Senior Midi Designer.
- Be responsible for the creation of MIDI note data based on pre-recorded audio, delivering on time and to a high standard
- Ensure that gameplay reduction of the MIDI note data is carried out in accordance with gameplay difficulty rulesets whilst guaranteeing the feel of the original song is kept
- Fully utilise MIDI data to drive other aspects of the game and be at the forefront of suggesting new ways of working with the data
- Maintain working organisation of game assets
- Proactively suggest how gameplay possibilities can be incorporated into the mark-up process
- Work closely with the Design and Music teams to ensure their understanding of the mark-up process so they can fully exploit the tools we have in place to improve the final game quality
- Monitor the MIDI mark-up at all stages of development, ensuring the initial quality is still in place upon the game’s release
- Manage and participate in the delivery of high quality, bug free, game content
- Expose problems with the mark-up in current game builds and proactively liaise with the relevant developers to address issues immediately
- Work closely with Music Producers to ensure their work enhances any mark up that has been created
ROLE REQUIREMENTS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS EXPERIENCE)
- Candidates will possess a strong musical background
- Experience with MIDI sequencing (preferably Sonar), including tempo mapping
- Solid understanding of the difficulty gradations for music games
- Proficiency with a musical instrument (please provide details of instrument(s)
- Have experience performing in a live environment as part of a band/ensemble
- Ability to transcribe vocal lines accurately to a high level of detail
- Have a passion for games
- Detail conscious
- Good verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly document objectives, procedures etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to build effective relationships
- Excellent time management skills
- Hold a degree in music
- Knowledge and appreciation of rock music
- Stays current on market trends and competitive titles
- Experienced in decision making
- A strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software (specifically Excel)
In case you had forgotten (it’s been awhile) FreeStyleGames brought us the critically rated yet undersold DJ Hero games back in 2009-2010.
The studio is hiring for a designer to create “MIDI note maps for music-based video games,” indicating that their next project will not stray much from their music game expertise. The developer description adds that the studio is “working on a new ground-breaking Multi-Platform and Mobile project.” Intriguingly, the opening also asks for candidates with “Proficiency with a musical instrument,” “experience performing in a live environment as part of a band/ensemble” and “Knowledge and appreciation of rock music.” (Worth noting that Activision did a major rock music franchise at one point, though there is zero indication that this is related.)
Is this Guitar Hero 7? Or is it something completely different? Something tells me we might find out before the summer is over.